Jackson Robert!!

baby

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Nursery is Done... Well almost done

If the nursery project is any indication of a hypothetical career in general carpentry I must regrettably accept the fact that I would starve. I say that not because I failed to produce a solid work product, but because it took me forever to do it. A large part of me rationalizes this by saying that it isn't my 9-5 gig so time is always limited. There is a great deal of truth to that. However, the other aspect is the number of times I simply chose to do something else, i.e. relaxing, playing video games, sleeping, etc. In the end I cannot even begin to tell you how much time I did spend in the nursery over the last month and change. Now, as the project nears completion, I can also not accurately communicate how happy I am that I did spend all that time on it.

Throughout the process I received a great deal of help from both Karyn and Eleanor. Obviously Karyn helped in a more substantive manner, but I was surprised by Eleanor's ability to paint by rubbing up against the walls. In case you were wondering, paint washes out of a dog's hair surprisingly well and Eleanor absolutely loves eating dried paint and chair rail modeling pieces.

With the project nearing the finish line we assembled the crib last night. That was easiest part of the project to far and it still took 45 minutes or so. The moral of the story is this: Every project will take longer and be more difficult than you could ever imagine. This isn't the first time I have learned that lesson. Unfortunately, it is an easy lesson to forget and that usually happens right about the time you are starting a new project.

I wish I had some pictures to post showing the finished product but I'll have to follow-up tonight when I am back at home. The room still isn't put back together because I have some touching up to do, but I'll get that done tonight.

As I mentioned above, when I looked around the room last night I was very happy to have spent the time that I did on the project. I am thankful for the opportunity to do things like this and for the opportunity to dream about baby D's first nights in his new home. It might not be the best example of high-level carpentry, but it has been completed with love and the best intentions.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure it's beautiful Nate. BTW....you are an EXCELLENT writer.

    chris

    ReplyDelete